Saturday, December 19, 2009

Christmas Decor

With every Christmas season comes the unpacking and displaying of Christmas decor. Having been raised in a home where the Christmas tree was always lit and covered with ornaments during this time of year, as well as having the stockings hang from the fireplace... these items are something I too equate with Christmas time. It's amazing how a lit tree and some stockings can instantly bring a warmth within a house, not only looking inviting to others, but also offering comfort to those living here. There is nothing like turning off the lights in the house, except for that tree... sitting on the couch under a warm blanket and reflecting over the blessings in our life.

Every year, my hubby and I debate over the type of lights we will put on the tree... white or colored, white or colored? Each year, we put up colored lights. Not only are these the lights of our childhood... both my man and I were raised with Christmas trees hosting colored lights, so it reminds us of many childhood Christmas memories... but there also becomes a decisive reason for displaying colored lights on our tree rather than white. My man and I both are attracted to white lit trees... they look so put together, so sophistated, so nice... but when we look at who we are and what we are like, it's too easy to make the decision, like my man has said before, .... "who are we kidding? We're anything but sophisticated!" ha ha, so colored lights it is this year, and colored lights it probably always will be.

Here are a few of the pictures of our current Christmas decor - it's the most wonderful time of the year!


My fabulous Aunt Terri gave this adorable mat to me while we were in KC. It's quickly become one of my favorite happy decorations around this holiday. Too cute! I've received multiple compliments on it. Thanks ATerri!



The Christmas Tree, colored lights and all. My hubby puts the red garland on it every year and it is a great touch to fill out the tree...


The mantle... one of my favorite aspects of our Christmas decor - 4 stockings, one for my man, one for me, and one for each of our furbabies. The stocking hangers spell out J-O-Y with a pine cone decoration to hold the fourth stocking.


And last but not least our welcome wreath on the door - Pier 1 purchase a few years ago. I love it.

Christmas is only a week away! I cannot wait to celebrate our Savior's birth with my family!
Merry Christmas!

3 comments:

Janna Leigh said...

Love the decorations!

Kelly said...

I esp. like the big screen TV ornament - fully visible in the photo :) We have ours on the tree too.

Mrs. McGoo said...

Thanks Janna!
Kelly - Ha ha, yeah I wondered if anyone noticed. :)