Chicken Tortilla Soup
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken thighs - I used 2 chicken breasts instead
- 1 4-oz can chopped green chiles (hot or mild, depending on preference)
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 2 15-oz cans of diced tomatoes
- 1 cup of chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- salt and pepper
- 4 corn tortillas, sliced into 1/4 inch strips
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 1/2 cup shredded Monterrey jack cheese
- Place chicken in crock pot slow cooker.
- In a separate bowl, combine chiles, garlic, onion, tomatoes, 1/2 cup chicken broth and cumin. Blend and pour over chicken.
- Cook on low for 6.5 hours. When chicken is tender, use the tines of two forks to shred. Adjust seasoning and add additional chicken broth.
- Just before serving, put tortilla strips in the oven at 225 degrees for 10-15minutes until slightly made firm.
- Add tortilla strips into soup, stir to incorporate. Leave a few tortilla strips to add as topper.
- Serve in soup bowls, topping each with shredded cheese.
Size 3-6 quarts