Wednesday, March 4, 2009

McGugan

My maiden name is Wilson.
I was born a Wilson and have always had a "you can't screw it up" kind of name: Heather Elizabeth Wilson.

But on March 17, 2007... that changed in a dramatic way. My life of a "simple, can't mess it up" name was no more. I married and became Heather Wilson McGugan.

At first, I didn't think twice about the name change. Sure it was strange for awhile to introduce myself as Heather McGugan. I had been Heather Wilson for 24 years... and now I had to break the habit. But I never thought the name was going to be complicated... BOY WAS I WRONG...

I quickly learned the McGugan apparently is not the most simple name to pronounce and have heard more random "attempts" at pronouncing our last name... scratch that, I've heard more people BUTCHER her our last name than is imaginable.

People add letters, subtract letters, totally make it up as they go... it's amazing. The other night, Kelly got a good one... he had to call our cable company to inquire about something and the lady on the other end totally butchered our name. I could tell, because Kelly made a corrective response that totally cracked me up.

Apparently the cable gal said,
okay, Mr. Meeekkk-geee-an?
To which Kelly responded
Uh... That's so not even close, let's go with McGUGAN
We cracked up about it together after fact. It's really interesting how people often get it totally wrong.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Still messing with comcast? Sheesh!

Brittany Schwaigert said...

I feel you--try Schwaigert on for size!! And McGugan seems so simple! But, when my maiden name was WHITE, people screwed that up all the time---"WYATT!?!?"
We don't even attempt Schwaigert at restaurants!

Mrs. McGoo said...

Oh yeah, Britt - we are totally "Kelly" when we go to restaurants. Not even attempting to hear McGugan over the loud speaker. ha ha

The Finneys said...

One word... Finley.

Mrs. McGoo said...

Michael/Hallie - Maybe all those "Finley" calling folks aren't really messing your name up, as much as they are just huge WWE fans that hope you have a little person that'll jump out from under something in a leprechaun suit. Never know?! ;)

Anonymous said...

my dear daughter in law. wait until you're my age and then try to "remember" how many ways people mess it up. I keep telling them if they try they can get it right the first time. I will not tell you what I tell them over the phone when the "butcher it up." You never get used to it, that's for sure and sometimes it's funny, not often though. Welcome to club. LOL

Mrs. McGoo said...

McDugan is one of the ones that erks me.... Seriously. There is a distinct difference between a D and a G in this world. I even spell our name out... M. C. G - as in George... and they still get it wrong.

Many more years of hearing the butchering of our name to come... :)