Friday, March 13, 2009

Roughing It

The long awaited extended weekend has come up on us... a Thursday through Sunday in Gatlinburg, TN with my man. I planned the trip, in secret, for our 2nd wedding anniversary (March 17th). Three nights in a secluded cabin in Gatlinburg right off a trout stream just for him and me.








Now that we're here and enjoying our time together, I am coming to grips with the fact that we are incapable of "roughing it" without technology. We love our blogs, whether it's my own or all the ones my hubby reads about sports, we love interacting with friends via email and facebook. It's quite hilarious how much we interact with that stuff. We brought our computer with us, but have been unable to find a WiFi connection that will work while we are in the cabin. Therefore, after a day full of college basketball yesterday, and some more today... we have decided we must experience some internet connection and made our way to Gatlinburg's one and only: Smoky's Pub & Grub to enjoy one another, college basketball, big screen tv's, and a WiFi connection.

So far it's been fabulous to be at this place. Kelly and I have both been very impressed with Smoky's Pub & Grub. The hospitality of this joint has been awesome. From setting us up in front of a big screen all on our own and giving Kelly the remote to do what he may, to the good food and drink specials, to the owner sitting and talking with us about how this pub came into being just as recently as July 2008... this place has been great.

My hubby over here has told me the same line probably three or four times already:
"Have I told you I like this place?"
From hearing the owner tell another table how an employee of his (a young high schooler) is going through his first day, and he likes to give the local high schoolers some place to work and a chance... to the rustic but warm atmosphere of the multiple rooms within the pub.... to the nice big screens- Samsung of course surrounding the rooms, to the great fireplace in the main room, to the friendly hospitable nature of all the employees, to the hysterical story of the waiter giving Kelly the remote to the big screen and saying,

"Here, I'm going to let you hold onto the family jewels"

to which Kelly quickly responded, "uhhh.... why don't we just call it the remote"

Yeah, we like this place. If you're ever in Gatlinburg, come visit Smoky's Pub & Grill, it'll be worth it. Try the potato skins, Mmm, Mmmm.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kelly looks happy. The place looks as if it could be my happy place too if I lived in Gatlinburg. You addiction to connectivity is hysterical. It is how guys like me make a living. Congratulations to both of you on your anniversary. aTerri and I are very happy you found each other.

Mrs. McGoo said...

Thanks UFrank. :) We hope to see you guys in Memphis sometime in the near future.

Brittany Schwaigert said...

That cabin is tooo cute!