Sunday, March 15, 2009

Gatlinburg to Home

It's hard to believe that our little anniversary trip is already complete. This morning the alarm rang out for the first time since Thursday morning when we set it to tell us it was time to journey from Nashville to Gatlinburg. Unlike Thursday morning, on this morning the alarm was not a welcomed sound. Hearing the noise this morning not only woke us both from a beautiful sleep, but also brought recognition that it was time to go back home and again experience a new week of work, school, soccer, housework, and more. It was time to get up, pack up, and get going.

As we made our way out of the cabin that had been our home for three days, the clock read 930am (ET). Thankfully, We made a side trip onto a parkway that not only took us to I-40, but also gave us three or four chances to view the mountain in the morning air. With a light sprinkle coming down, we stopped and took in the view... Magnificent. No wonder the Smoky Mountains are named such, as each morning the smoke rises from these hills and greets the morning air. Almost in a mystical sense, the mountains demand the attention of those around... saying, LOOK AT ME. God created this beauty. Wow.


As we continued to drive down the parkway, after our quick photo shoot, we drove past another lookout spot. There, I saw a man standing there drinking his morning coffee and taking in the view. How peaceful.

I wish We would have found this spot before it was time to go home... but I'm thankful that we were able to see it before we left. Thank you, Lord for the beauty you created in this world! It all brings the glory back to You! Kelly and I really enjoy traveling just for this reason - Not only do we get to see other places and see how other people live, we also get to see what Kelly's grandmother calls, "God's extras". The Smoky Mountains were that today, a glimpse into God's extras. We love being able to go around the world the Lord has created and admire the glory and beauty of it all. Each place we go, we get a greater sense and understanding of the beauties our God has created. Even in a simple place like Gatlinburg, TN, the Lord's grandness is put on display.


Our trip was great! A time filled with relaxation and time well spent with my mate and my best friend. We laughed. We napped. We watched the NCAA division 1 conference tournaments. We completed the full second season of Dexter. We cooked. We toured Gatlinburg a bit. But mostly we just enjoyed the time together. A time away from the stress of the day to day. No housework to nag me into completion, no dogs to cater to, no friends to take our attention away from one another, no work, no soccer gear to clean, just my hubby and me... together. I'm so glad we took the time to take this small adventure.

It's hard to believe that this week, March 17th will mark our 2nd wedding anniversary. The time is already flying, and I'm sure many will tell me it will only continue to go faster. I'm so thankful for the man God blessed me with! But I'll leave it with that... I'm sure I'll have more to say about that as our anniversary gets closer.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy Anniversary my girl..Sounds like yall had a fantastic trip. I just love the beautiful sceinery that God put here for us to enjoy..
Love you guys. Hope you have many, many more.....Bg

Brittany Schwaigert said...

Happy Anniversary guys!
2 years?!? Can you believe it?
Those mountain pics are just beautiful!

Anonymous said...

Happy Anniversary tomorrow.
Glad ya'll had a great time. Alot of people call the Smokies, "God's Country." I would agree.

Unknown said...

Happy Anniversary. The wedding just seems like yesterday. Remember that 10 second kiss every day! It works wonders. Al & I will be married 25 years the end of the month and that 10 second kiss melts all the days troubles away!! May God enrich your marriage every day. XXOO