Thursday, August 18, 2011

Book Corner

I'm enjoying my time away from school, but down time is still limited. I have been filling my extra time post work with workouts, Bible study, coffee dates, family birthday celebrations, committee meetings, and things like that.

Nevertheless, I am finding some time to read. I have quite a bit to go, but look forward to hopefully finishing this read by the start of school on September 6th.

My current read is a suggestion from my mom's book club. Cutting for Stone by Abraham Verghese. It's a fiction book set in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia - be still my heart, and is about a surgeon. I'm totally enjoying reading the details of the environment, places and a culture I'm actually familiar with and knowing some of the medical terms being used also. It's been neat.

I'm 124 pages in and the book is over 650 pages long... so lots more to go.

What's currently on your reading list?

1 comment:

Randall Johnson said...

I have some good friends in Uruguay who have recommended a book to me, Outsmarting Yourself, by Karl Lehman. The subtitle is "Catching Your Past Invading the Present and What to Do About It." He is a Christian psychiatrist.

The book explains why we are often triggered by current events or people to respond in ways that are way over the top for what is happening. His answer is that we are really reliving our beliefs about previous memories. He claims to have a way to lead us to the Lord for healing.

I already use a form of inner healing along these lines but am quite open to refining this process and learning what he has to add to our understanding of God's healing ways.