Friday, August 26, 2011

Something New: Kentucky Derby Pie

I asked Mr. McGoo Tuesday afternoon, "What do you want for your birthday dessert Thursday night?" I knew better. I've been married to this man for 4.5 years now, I know what he likes and I should have thought through those desserts, chosen one I was comfortable making and just presented it to him Thursday rather than taking requests. Knowing my husband, I should know better.

Mr. McGoo's answer, "Kentucky Derby Pie".

This is where I interject in the story that I am not a cook. I cook, but I'm not a cook. I bake, but I bake things out of boxes where you add water, oil, and/or eggs. I'm not a baker, and I have certainly never attempted a pie - a Kentucky Derby Pie at that. Oh boy.

Unable to turn down the challenge, I guess, I got to work "Google'ing" recipes for a Kentucky Derby Pie. I found one and quickly passed it by, but the second recipe I found seemed like something I could attempt, so that's what I did.

So before I share the experience, let me give you the source. I found the recipe on this blog.

Ingredients:
  • 1 stick butter
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 2 eggs, beaten
  • 1/2 cup flour
  • pinch of salt
  • 2 Tbsp. Ky Bourbon OR 1 tsp. vanilla
  • 1 cup chocolate chips
  • 1 cup chopped pecans
  • 1 9-inch pie shell, partially baked (or I actually used graham cracker crust)
I was intent on making 2 pies. One with Kentucky Bourbon and one with Vanilla. To help reduce my stress level (because I'm prone to stress during new cooking adventures), I went ahead and measured out all ingredients times two and set them out before I began the process. It was very helpful and colorful too when you have Fiesta Ware.


What to do:
  • Preheat oven to 350 degrees 
  • Cream butter and sugar
  • Add beaten eggs, flour, salt and Kentucky bourbon (or vanilla)  
  • Add chocolate chips and nuts 
  • Stir well
  • Pour into partially baked pie shell
  • TIP: Put the pie(s) onto a cookie sheet to catch any possible dripping, or bubbling over of the ingredients (I learned this one the hard way, explained below).
  • Bake for 30 minutes, or until center is set
  • Serve with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream or completely by itself!
My experience:
The process of preparing the pies was a piece of cake. As I mentioned before the pre-measuring of ingredients really helped. I didn't have to think about it as I read the recipe and added the ingredients each step of the way. The "problems" began when I put the pies into the oven.

After about 5 minutes of oven time, Mr. McGoo and I smelled something burning. At that moment, the recipe ingredients FLASHED before my eyes. It read "PARTIALLY BAKED PIE CRUST" not pre-made like I thought and purchased. I bought the pre-made ready to eat or bake graham cracker crust. Automatically I assumed the crust was burning and I had 25 minutes plus to go. I ran to the oven, opened up the door and smoke flew out. I panicked, thinking "my crust"...

However, the burning and smoke had nothing to do with the crust... it was the spillover of the pies causing the issue. I did not know that a cookie sheet underneath a pie is essential. Without it, the bubbling and spillover of the pies falls onto the eyes of the oven = burning. I removed the pies immediately and placed them on a cookie sheet before putting them back into the oven. The only thing to do now was wait... wait to see if the pies could make it through this without coming out smelling & tasting like smoke and ultimately check at the end to make sure the pie crust that I purchased incorrectly was able to survive.

Wait....

Once I took the pies out of the oven they looked fabulous as seen here to the left... but considering the time (after 11pm at this point), I knew I would be unable to check the crust until morning.

Morning came, I checked the crust and everything looked okay. The true test would be that night when the dessert is served for Mr. McGoo's birthday in front of a large group.

Result: Everyone loved it! I thought it could have been cooked a little more to make the insides a little less gooy, but none of our guests complained. The taste was fantastic and delicious. Per Mr. McGoo's request this pie will be made again and again in our household. Next time I'll put the cookie sheet down in the beginning, but I will still use that delicious graham cracker crust!

Enjoy!

1 comment:

Mr. McGoo said...

It was very good for a beginner. Notice the compliment and challenge placed before you. I think the Bourbon put it over the top.

After all, it's not a Kentucky Derby Pie without the Kentucky Bourbon