Monday, February 22, 2010

More Ways to Make a Difference


I'm a fan of the WICKED Soundtrack. Love it. Often I can be found in my car, WICKED blaring as I make my way to or from work... singing at the top of my lungs but playing the music loud enough so I do not have to hear myself sing. One of my favorite songs is a song called "Gravity". There is a portion of the lyrics that have been hitting home lately as my eyes have been opened to the orphan crisis of the world and my responsibility as a believer! The key lyrics are:
I'm through accepting limits; 'Cuz someone says they're so; Some things I cannot change; But till I try, I'll never know!
I've been equating this same thought process with the orphan crisis of the world. It's so big. It so large. It often seems so impossible, but I'm not going to let others tell me I cannot make a difference. I'm tired of saying something is too big to try. The reality is that I serve a God bigger than I can fathom and He can handle the biggest of problems. I'm only responsible for doing what I can... and I'm going to try.

Today I give you another way YOU can make a true difference in this world. I'm tired of not making a difference, and if I can apply the "every little bit helps" philosophy as much as possible, the ripple I begin to make at some point will catch on to another, and we can change one life, one situation at a time. I love this quote by Robert F. Kennedy:
Let no one be discouraged by the belief there is nothing one man or one woman can do against the enormous array of the world's ills--against misery and ignorance, injustice and violence... Few will have the greatness to bend history itself; but each of us can work to change a small portion of events, and in the total of all those acts will be written the history of this generation...
It is from the numberless diverse acts of courage and belief that human history is shaped. Each time a man stands up for an ideal, or acts to improve the lot of others, or strikes out against injustice, he sends a tiny ripple of hope, and crossing each other from a million different centers of energy and daring, those ripples build a current which can sweep down the mightiest walls of oppression and resistance.
So with Kennedy's quote as my background and introduction, I have a way you can make a difference today with $10, $5, and/or very importantly praying. Check out the non-profit organization started by a couple from my church, The Forsaken Children. This organization works to care for, support, and minister to the street children of Ethiopia. Read up on their website to gain details, but among the MANY awesome things this organization does in Ethiopia and their amazing mission, The Forsaken Children are raising funds this month for a truck. The Kota Ganate Truck Campaign is working to raise $15,000 over the next month to pay for a rugged 4x4 pickup that will help expand the Kota Ganate project into extended markets, make it easier to obtain supplies, and allow transportation of such supplies and needed personnel. In other words, this truck can make a big difference to this particular project for The Forsaken Children.

Check out all the links I've attached and/or go straight to their website to learn more: http://theforsakenchildren.org/. I'm pumped about their work and look forward to hopefully partnering with them during the summer on a missions trip. Check it out!

Here is an awesome video that gives pictures that speak louder than words: http://animoto.com/play/ClXY4SHBOEunBXF369z1Hg

No comments: