Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Proverbs 7

Proverbs 7

Warning Against the Adulteress
 1 My son, keep my words
       and store up my commands within you.
 2 Keep my commands and you will live;
       guard my teachings as the apple of your eye.
 3 Bind them on your fingers;
       write them on the tablet of your heart.
 4 Say to wisdom, "You are my sister,"
       and call understanding your kinsman;
 5 they will keep you from the adulteress,
       from the wayward wife with her seductive words.
 6 At the window of my house
       I looked out through the lattice.
 7 I saw among the simple,
       I noticed among the young men,
       a youth who lacked judgment.
 8 He was going down the street near her corner,
       walking along in the direction of her house
 9 at twilight, as the day was fading,
       as the dark of night set in.
 10 Then out came a woman to meet him,
       dressed like a prostitute and with crafty intent.
 11 (She is loud and defiant,
       her feet never stay at home;
 12 now in the street, now in the squares,
       at every corner she lurks.)
 13 She took hold of him and kissed him
       and with a brazen face she said:
 14 "I have fellowship offerings [a] at home;
       today I fulfilled my vows.
 15 So I came out to meet you;
       I looked for you and have found you!
 16 I have covered my bed
       with colored linens from Egypt.
 17 I have perfumed my bed
       with myrrh, aloes and cinnamon.
 18 Come, let's drink deep of love till morning;
       let's enjoy ourselves with love!
 19 My husband is not at home;
       he has gone on a long journey.
 20 He took his purse filled with money
       and will not be home till full moon."
 21 With persuasive words she led him astray;
       she seduced him with her smooth talk.
 22 All at once he followed her
       like an ox going to the slaughter,
       like a deer [b] stepping into a noose [c]
 23 till an arrow pierces his liver,
       like a bird darting into a snare,
       little knowing it will cost him his life.
 24 Now then, my sons, listen to me;
       pay attention to what I say.
 25 Do not let your heart turn to her ways
       or stray into her paths.
 26 Many are the victims she has brought down;
       her slain are a mighty throng.
 27 Her house is a highway to the grave, [d]
       leading down to the chambers of death.
Footnotes:
  1. Proverbs 7:14 Traditionally peace offerings
  2. Proverbs 7:22 Syriac (see also Septuagint Hebrew fool
  3. Proverbs 7:22 The meaning of the Hebrew for this line is uncertain.
  4. Proverbs 7:27 Hebrew Sheol

No comments: