Saturday, August 1, 2009

Bermuda Vacation: Part 1

The Island & Our Amazing Hosts

I was not sure what to expect as we made our flight from Atlanta to Bermuda on Friday. I knew I was excited and anxious to get there and enjoying our first class experience, but also did not have any expectations. All I knew was that I looked forward to seeing family and getting to experience an island that my hubby was excited to bring me to.

As our flight began it's decent, the clearness of the Atlantic Ocean opened up to me through the plane's small window. I could see the waves rolling over one another and began to get more excited as I knew the island would show itself to us any minute. Wow. The beauty impressed me from the start...

We had the luxury of staying with our Uncle Geoffrey and Aunt Mary during our stay in Bermuda. They graciously opened their home to us, and showered us with food, drink, and exquisite company. We were blessed with the opportunity of staying in their daughter, Eileen's cottage while she was away on holiday volunteering for Habitat for Humanity. Mary using the term "cottage" to describe Eileen's place is quite humbling.... this place is wonderful. A loft of her own with everything you need to survive: bedroom, bathroom, kitchen, laundry area, living room area, etc. It was an awesome place to stay and although we missed seeing Eileen, we greatly appreciated and enjoyed her place while she was away. Check out the photos of her great place:

I couldn't speak highly enough of the beautiful nature of the island and the amazing nature of our hosts during this vacation. The hubby and I have been spoiled, rotten! Geoffrey and Mary not only housed us, but also carted us to and fro when we missed the bus, gave us bus passes abundantly, tickets to the Aquarium and Maritime Museum, took us on their boat, and helped enhance our vacation in every way. The food we ate nightly by way of Chef Geoffrey and Chef Mary was delicious and always fulfilling. With a glass of wine and/or can of Heineken always within reach, we enjoyed every meal.

To show off their hospitality even more, my hubby and I were expected to leave Bermuda on a 4pm flight Wednesday afternoon... flying standby has its downfalls, such as what we experienced this go around... the flight, as well as Thursday's was overbooked already and we were unable to leave as planned. Geoffrey and Mary opened their home once more and welcomed us for the additional two nights stay beyond our plan. Simply wonderful they are - family rocks!


Bermuda Vacation: Part 2 - Our Daily Adventures coming soon...

4 comments:

Kelly said...

The water looks beautiful!

Mary said...

Thanks for your kind comments...it was great having you here!

Mrs. B said...

Beautiful Beautiful Beautiful! The "cottage" was SO Five Star! Eileen's a lucky lady!!!

Brittany Schwaigert said...

So j that you have family in Bermuda!