Monday, July 13, 2009

Something New: Red Beans & Rice

In honor of the upcoming movie (which I hope to see), Julie & Julia, I have decided to attempt something new. I say attempt, because I'm very aware that sometimes things do not go according to plan, imagine that. I will try to make one NEW meal I've never done before every week (posting the event on Monday). It should not be too difficult to figure out recipes to make because, let's face it, I either cook the same thing over and over or do not cook very well anyway. So this will go one of two ways: a treat or a disaster. Let the games begin.

Tonight I attempted Red Beans & Rice without a box that held all the ingredients except adding water and the sausage. This was one step up, a simple recipe that I found on Kevin & Amanda's Recipe Blog. I started with the following ingredients and then followed this recipe step by step:

1 cup long grain white rice
2 cups hot water
1 teaspoon salt
2-3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 pkg (14 oz) smoked sausage
1 can red beans
Zatarains Creole Seasoning

Add the rice, water and salt to a sauce pan with a lid. Bring to boil, reduce heat to low, then cover & simmer for 15 mins. Meanwhile, thinly slice the sausage and drain the juice from the red beans into the sink. Add 2-3 tbsp olive oil to to a large skillet and begin heating over medium heat. Add the sausage, give a sprinkling of creole seasoning and stir occasionally for about 7 mins until the sausages start to get sizzly on both sides. Add the red beans and stir until warmed through. About this time, your rice should be done too. Serve the beans and sausage over the rice. Add extra creole seasoning as desired at the table. Serves 2-3.

I had my niece read the recipe to me while I cooked. She was my little helper. Isn't she adorable.


As easy as this recipe sounds and is... I was worried because I have an "issue" with rice. For some reason, whether it's instant or any other kind, it's a struggle for me. Either too watery or too chewy... so I was very thankful it turned out this go around. The hubby, the niece, and even I was pleased with the end result tonight. Adding this one to my recipe cards. Yum.

My niece even took a photo of me while we cooked (below). New dish #1 was a success... encouraging me to try again.

6 comments:

Mrs. B said...

Woo Hoo! I see The Next Food Network Star in the making! Keep up the good work Chef McGoo!

Mrs. McGoo said...

Ha! Thank you for the encouraging words!!! But I'm not even close, not in the same category, or same book as the Thomas and Myia homestead that cooks like pro's. I'll work towards it, bit by bit. :)

Kelly said...

We should see that movie together, since we are both Julies :)

Mrs. McGoo said...

That's a GREAT idea Kelly. Sounds like a date, count me in!

Brittany Schwaigert said...

I think everyone has that issue with rice. It is just hard!!
Get up on pioneerwoman.com. That's some man-pleasing food. Ryan loves it!

Frank Bryant said...

Sounds good. Let me pass on a uFrank recipe. Its called Bologna Surprise.

Add 1 package of Bolonga to a hot skillet along with corn, beans, sliced hot dogs, potatoes, and whatever else you have in the fridge getting close to the expiration date.

Stir occasionally until you can no longer stand the smell. Let cool and serve.

I prepared this delicacy once for uTerri for a memorable meal. It also has the advantage of being especially great for dieters. Once you see it, the hunger pangs are immediately leave and are gone for hours.