Friday, May 1, 2009

Just Do What Your Momma Taught You!

Okay, so I'm seriously getting annoyed with this whole Swine Flu nonsense. I turn on the new yesterday during my lunch hour, and for the entire hour this is all they talked about - the Swine Flu and Sarah Palin meeting the Chopper guys and knowing little about motorcycles. Are you kidding me? This is the news?!

And then I open up my computer last night to find this! A story by Fox New titled: Flu Masks in Fashion as Virus Nears Pandemic Stage. The pictures below, that are also posted on the same article say it all. Are you kidding me?! And apparently these masks are even selling?! What?!

The tagline for the above article reads: If you don't want it, flaunt it.

Wow.
Come on people, just do what your Momma taught you. Wash your hands! Cover your mouth when you sneeze! Wash your hands! Did I mention wash your hands after you go the bathroom. Come on folks, this is not that difficult, WASH YOUR HANDS!

According to fluFACTS.com, "In the U.S., an estimated 25–50 million cases of the flu are currently reported each year — leading to 150,000 hospitalizations and 30,000–40,000 deaths yearly. If these figures were to be estimated incorporating the rest of the world, there would be an average of approximately 1 billion cases of flu, around 3–5 million cases of severe illness, and 300,000–500,000 deaths annually." That's just the regular flu.

Now let me compare that to the currently over dramatized facts of the swine flu. According to newsday.com, as of yesterday that statistics on the swine flu look like this:

Deaths: 103, all in Mexico. 22 confirmed as swine flu, 1,614 suspected.

Sickened: 1,384 in Mexico, suspected or confirmed; 40 confirmed in U.S.; 10 suspected in New Zealand; 6 confirmed in Canada; 7 suspected in Spain; 1 suspected in France; 1 suspected in Israel.

Does anyone see a VAST difference between the two?! So why are we making such a big deal out of this swine flu?!!! I do not want to be insensitive to those that have lost their lives because of this event, but seriously, come on news folks... stop the propaganda. The White House needs to stop the fear that they are allowing to flow from them regarding this strain of flu.

Everyone do like their Momma taught them, and we'll all be okay!
Oh, and you've got to love signs that we're seeing around this city in the bathrooms that say, "Please help us keep the swine flu from spreading by washing your hands".

If anyone finds some good cartoon editorials about this whole swine flu affair, please send them my way. Send me the links, I want to see them. I'll post the best ones.

4 comments:

The Finneys said...

Michael just sent me this very helpful link: http://doihavetheswineflu.com. Check it out. (And thanks for posting these facts!!)

Mrs. McGoo said...

Wow Hallie, Thanks for the site. It was VERY helpful. I hope anyone that is worried will check it out.

Kels said...

Hahahaha. Not joking.. When I saw the masks I literally laughed out loud.

I think the big one would look good on Kelly. ;)

Kels said...

pig*