Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Majesty

At church on Sunday, we sang a song that we've sung many times before: "Majesty (Here I Am)".

As we sang the words this particular morning, our worship leader stopped us after a few times through and helped us reflect on and take in the actual meaning of the words we sang. Something hit me in that moment and I've come to reflect on this song a bit more as the days have gone on.

First, let me share the lyrics with you. Below:
Majesty (Here I Am)

Here I am humbled by your Majesty
Covered by your grace so free
Here I am, knowing I'm a sinful man
Covered by the blood of the Lamb

Now I've found the greatest love of all is mine
Since you laid down your life
The greatest sacrifice

Majesty, Majesty
Your grace has found me just as I am
Empty handed, but alive in your hands
Majesty, Majesty
Forever I am changed by your love
In the presence of your Majesty

Here I am humbled by the love that you give
Forgiven so that I can forgive
Here I stand, knowing that I'm your desire
Sanctified by glory and fire

Now I've found the greatest love of all is mine
Since you laid down your life
The greatest sacrifice

Written by Stu Garrard/Martin Smith ©2003 Curious? Music UK
The lines that really get me are: "Your grace has found me just as I am; Empty handed, but alive in your hands".

I've churned these words over and over in my head the last few days and am continually amazed. Yup, I brought nothing to the table and the Lord still paid it all for me! It's only by HIS grace, and nothing that I've done that I'm saved. Wow!

How opposite is that compared to the world we live in? I think that is why we have tendencies to turn towards religion rather than to a relationship with our Lord. Because the world asks "what have you done for me lately?". What are YOUR successes, how have YOU produced a result, what have YOU done? It's all about me in this world and especially in American culture. It's all about what I can accomplish and do. Therefore our minds are set towards legalism and religion due to our culture. We are hindered in our relationship with the Lord with the tendency to try and earn grace, rather than to just accept it. We try to do X amount of Bible studies, or devote X amount of time to others to find that exact formula that will be enough for us to earn grace, even if we do not admit that to be our underlying motive. If we're just good enough, we subconsciously think, not being able to fully grasp the GIFT that is grace!

But that's not it at all, and yet it's the most humbling thing to attempt to wrap my mind around - it's NOT ABOUT ME AND WHAT I DO! I can't do it, regardless of how hard I try, or how much I do, or how good I am. I'm sinful, selfish, dirty, and unclean without the blood of Christ. And there in that spot, like a ragamuffin (as the author, Brennan Manning describes), Jesus finds me and makes me alive in His hand! Awesome.

I found a version of this song on youtube that is played along with some INTENSE scenes from The Passion of the Christ. Be aware of graphic images, but man these images truly helped hit home my thoughts on this song. All because of Him!

1 comment:

Mr. McGoo said...

Amen! I love that song...hate I missed it