Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Coach Cal Heading to Kentucky

Regardless of the rumor mills churning with abundance throughout the Memphis area and the Bluegrass State over the last few days, the official announcements have been publicly laid out today: Coach Cal is the new Kentucky coach and Memphis is left searching for his replacement.

The McGoo's are a house divided with such news.

First, I'm a Tiger alumni and also played for the athletic department at the U of Memphis. I grew up watching the Tigers play with my Daddy. Whether he was yelling at the TV in frustration while Larry Finch was the coach, or we were enjoying a Coach Calipari led Tiger team, we have always been Tiger fans! Mr. McGoo is currently attending school at the U of M, and is getting school paid for by the U of Memphis athletic department. We live in Memphis. We live less than a mile away from the University. We're definitely Tiger fans.

Secondly, however, Mr. McGoo's first love is the University of Kentucky. Raised much of his younger days there in Lexington, KY - he has been ushered into a loyal following like most of the folks from the Big Blue Nation. Being married to a UK fanatic brings about two options, well, I take that back, I think it only brings one option: JOIN THEM. So I'm a Kentucky fan also. Don't get me wrong, I'm totally rooting for the Memphis Tigers if they ever come to bat against Kentucky... but Kentucky is definitely someone I'm cheering for regularly. I've found that my hubby's passion for the University's many athletic teams has spilled over into me. Like Mr. McGoo says about Memphis, Kentucky is my 1b team. Not my 2nd team, but my 1b team. Memphis is my 1a team.

So needless to say, we are very excited (my hubby especially) about the opportunity UK has with Coach Cal coming their way. We totally wish him the best, for him and his family, and also to hopefully see the UK basketball program move productively ahead this coming season and beyond. On the other hand, we're hurting and sad for Memphis. Tiger b'ball is the cash cow of the U of Memphis athletic department. If Memphis does not find an appropriate coach for the program to continue its growing trend, I'm afraid of how that could adversely affect the rest of the Tiger athletic department. We're hoping for the best!

It has been amazing the amount of reactions that this entire ordeal has revealed from both Memphis fans and Kentucky fans alike. Negative to jubilant expressions of opinion are flowing out of the woodwork. I must say, I will be happy when all of this uproar, good and bad, settles down and we begin another season.

Seriously, my hubby has been a bit "distracted" since this entire affair began. I bet it would blow everyone's mind if I logged how much time my hubby has spent the past few days on this issue. From computer time spent reading, emailing, commenting, to the phone time spent texting, calling, and receiving calls, and to the press conference footage from today - - - a lot of man hours have been used by my hubby to get the most info he could about his teams (UK and Memphis). I'll be glad when all this settles down and we watch both programs move on, hopefully both for the best!

Oh, a "funny" observation from me... UK is about to go from the most stoic, laid back coach I've ever seen on a sideline to a coach that can be the most animated baboon looking guy you've seen on a sideline. Coach Calipari's passion pours out good and bad on the sidelines: clapping, jumping up and down, screaming, and beyond. A stark contrast between Billy G. of the past and Calipari of the future. Fun stuff.

3 comments:

Mr. McGoo said...

Anyone need a dissertation written on the UK-Memphis conflict? I'm your guy!!

Elian said...

I'd read it.

Anonymous said...

Heather, I agree with you when you describe Gillispe. It's been 2 years of torture for me to watch him just sitting on the sidelines & just smile. At least with the prior coaches, they had charisma. Tubby Smith use to give the players the "evil eye"- his eyes would bug out and Rick Pitino would scream & stomp his Italian leather shoes. Coach Cal will provide the Wildcat players & fans with the energy that is needed.
PS- My Memphis relatives are not happy about Coach Cal leaving, so I'm trying not sound too excited when I speak with them.