Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Have to Admit

So I've denied this fact for the last two years... always replying when people ask me about my TV watching that I was never much of a TV watcher until I began to date, became engaged, and married my hubby. This is all true. I wasn't much of a TV watcher until Kelly McGugan came into my life. Sure, I had a show here or there that I would follow, but that was maybe one show per season. Or if I was bored out of my mind, I'd watch whatever was on at that time. Often, I just enjoyed the TV on in the background while I read a book instead. But then my hubby came into my life and all of that changed.


I guess I should just admit it now, and fully accept the fact that I AM A TV JUNKIE. Yep, like it or not, it's true. My ridiculous list of "followed" tv shows is too extensive for me to even think about denying that fact. The hubby and I both enjoy following a show together. Discussing the characters, debating the happenings of the show, the twists, the turns, we eat it up - and I enjoy it. Thanks to TeVo, we record everything and watch things when we want to. Sometimes multiple episodes of something in a row, or just one quick show and back to our daily lives, but watch we do!

Here are the shows we follow:
(I'm leaving out the ones that my hubby follows alone like 90210, cough, cough, or Smallville)
  • LOST
  • American Idol
  • Fringe
  • Life
  • The Office (new one for us)
  • Heroes
  • Big Brother (depending the season)
  • Survivor (depending the season)
  • Apprentice (depending the season)


Here are the shows I wish I followed:
(but I just catch them when I randomly do and can)
  • House
  • Dexter
  • Jon & Kate Plus 8
  • Law & Order anything
  • HGTV anything (esp like Design on a Dime)
We used to have a couple others, but we've dropped them as they've become annoying or repetitive. Case in point, Prison Break. We followed that for two seasons or so, and by season three (or whatever is currently underway), after the first couple episodes we were like "forget this". Never seemed to get anyway, always new obstacles once they passed one. Got annoying.

Needless to say, with the above evidence, it's impossible for me to say otherwise.
I admit it, I am a TV Junkie!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know girl :) I NEVER watched so much televison before my sweet Mike came along. And now.....I not only watch LOST faithfully, but I also talk about it with everyone I know and read the blog each week like a dork! Terrible!

Kelly said...

Me. Too. I never watched TV in high school, rarely in college, and then I met Elian. The TV never goes off. I used to think it was REALLY weird, but now I find silence awkward.

Anonymous said...

I'm with you on this one. We have three shows that we follow: 24, The Office, and Hell's Kitchen. Unfortunately, I have one more to confess. I'm so ashamed to admit it because I've been so adamant about NOT watching in the past...but I've gotten hooked on American Idol this season. Oh, I can't believe I'm publishing this comment.

Mrs. McGoo said...

Ha! Hallie, we totally catch Hell's Kitchen when we happen to sit down while it's on. We don't TeVo it, but we sure enjoy it when it happens to be on. Nothing wrong with AI, it can get addicting. We have a top 12 poll at work that starts about the same time as the NCAA tourney brackets. Good fun! he he.

Unknown said...

Guilty as charged....junkie...junkie...junkieI'm a single guy. What else is there to do at night :).....Having a big tv doesn't help either. A book looks so small when you have a 67 inch tv to watch. I didn't watch much tv til I got into a career. It's easy to come home and do every night and there is always a good sporting event on. :) Great Post...Keep the VV coming!!!!

Mrs. McGoo said...

ah ha! Steve... I think you've helped me figure all of this out! Above you 3 married ladies have replied... and I'm a 4th married lady that shares this same case. We all married a male that was ONCE single, like you, and while the man was single he developed the TV watching junkie status, thus pulling us into that world once we became one with them. Therefore, if this is all true, you will also change a non tv watching lady into a TV junkie post marriage. Something to look forward to! ha!

Unknown said...

Well said Mrs. Mcgoo....I couldn't agree more. It will be one of the many vices that I pass on to my future bride! However my married friends have made it abundantly clear that I will watch substantially less sports once I enter the married world...Although I think your hubby gives me hope as he still gets his fill!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

And my new hubby lived with Steve - hence the big screen we now have and the TV junkie status I have inherited :)

Mer said...

I have the solution for everyone- just do like the smith's- have a small tv with no cable. shows are limited, so you have to be picky! Although you constantly get tortured by people like steve to let your husband have a big flat panel for his upcoming son's birth- so they can have male bonding time :)

Mr. McGoo said...

A small TV and no cable?!?! One word...BORING!!! Where's the fun in that?

What is obvious to me is that some women have not joined the masses of other women and given their husband the joy of a TV.

I know that once I got my little 50 inches of joy, my production levels of help in and around the house has massively gone up. Projects are being accomplished like never before.
Don't have cable?! How else are you going to inspire a man to work on the house instead of watching HDTV?!?! Oh, what, you'll give him a book. Where's the fun in that. Good programing promotes healthy relationships and working as a team for one simple goal. That goal looks even more tangible when shown on a big screen.

So what I'm saying is...if you want a better husband, get the man a flippin' TV. Allow the man to take in some JOY and he'll pay it back ten fold.

So I ask all the men to say this to their wives...HELP ME, HELP YOU