Friday, December 26, 2008

Favorite Gift

Although some families can have conversations like this over the holidays:

Clark Griswold:
Can I refill your eggnog for you? Get you something to eat? Drive you out to the middle of nowhere and leave you for dead?

Eddie:
Naw, I'm doing just fine, Clark.


I'm not one of them. I'm blessed beyond measure with the family that surrounds me! Christmas brought home this reminder once again... I love my family! God has blessed me so!

We had an amazing Christmas time this year... maybe it was because Brent (Robin's husband, my "new" brother-in-law) is now officially part of the family this year, or because we played "Dirty Santa" with the Wilson family side and cracked up throughout it all, or just because my family rocks, either way this year was fantastic! We had hilarious fellowship, great food, good fun, and were blessed beyond measure with gifts. What a year!

My favorite gift of the season went beyond the monetary blessing it brought to me, rather the awesomeness within the gift was the way in which we had to get it.

Let me paint the picture for you: it's Christmas Day... the entire immediate family is opening Christmas presents: stockings and wrapped gifts. Mom and Dad announce before we start opening that everyone (the kids) has a gift with a very small bow on it. We are not to open that gift until the end, and everyone must open their gifts together. Therefore, after being spoiled with all of our stocking and gifts, we all begin to open our special gift with great anticipation.

Drummer please....

Very excited about what might be in store, I tore into the wrapped box with the tiny bow on top. I opened a box to find a can of tuna fish in it. YUCK. Kelly had two cans of tomato juice in his. Brent had a can of spaghetti o's. Robin and Kelsey each had a bar of soap.

What the heck?!

We sat there all confused as Mom and Dad laughed together and took pictures of our confused faces...

And then it was found - a piece of paper taped to the bottom of each "gift". Mine said: "Heather #1". Kelly's said: "Kelly's #2". Brent, Robin, and Kelsey had the same with their names on their respective "gifts". As we pulled off these pieces of paper and turned them over... we discovered what was really unfolding - A SCAVENGER HUNT!

It was so hilariously fun! Mom and Dad were amazing with their planning! And the gifts we found in each of our hidden places blew us away. Here are what Kelly and my clues said:



Mom and Dad, thank you for the most amazing time we've had in a long while. We all loved it, and have bragged about the fun ever since. Merry Christmas.

3 comments:

Kelly said...

How fun! What were the gifts at the end?! Did Kelly get ice cream? a cold pack for all his aches and pains?

Mrs. McGoo said...

ha ha! Cracking me up Kelly. Nope, no ice cream, no cold packs... just a box full of rocks! :) ha! AND an envelope with some cheese in it! Way too generous and fun!

Brittany Schwaigert said...

FUN!!!