Thursday, October 20, 2011

What about Today?

It's so easy to get caught up in the constant look ahead mindset, the anxious await of the "next step". So easy to let your my heart ask "what's next?", "when this", "when then", in a way that has me looking past today and only looking at tomorrow - or often even further down the road. Too often we as Americans I find myself on the "next step" thought process of life to the degree that it causes me to miss the current place and space God has me in.

Our Father knew we I would do this... He put verses within in His Word that speak directly to this tendency of my heart and mind. (Matthew 6:25-34, Philippians 4:6-7 are just a few off the top of my head). Verses that remind us me to not worry, to not be anxious, and to stay within today in my thought process not looking too far ahead in a way that causes me to miss what He has for me today!

He wants to do something in me, through me today! In this place. In this space. Right now. Wherever I am. Not when the next phase of life begins. Not when the next step arrives, because my heart will then jump into the phase after that. He has something for me in this time. Right now.

You know the thought process... You've heard it or had it asked in your own mind or heart. I know I have been there. Some examples... You're single and you think or others ask "when will you date someone?" Then you date someone and your heart or others ask "when wil ya'll get engaged?". Then "when will you get married", then "when will you have kids", "when will you retire", "when will you....". Or the other terminology for the same questions, "When I do this" or "When I do that" then I'll really will be where I want to be, I will have what I need, etc.

Does that make sense?

As a nursing school student, it is really easy right now to look ahead in a way that causes me to miss the awesomeness He has for me right now! I can look at my graduation date 22 months in the future (I hope!) in a way that is unhealthy and causes me to miss the current moment. Although reminding myself that the end date of school is tangible can be encouraging to me, making that my only focus causes me to miss the now and what I can do in the current moment for His kingdom! What does God want me to see, do, and experience now in this current place?

Similarly, I have a heart and passion for The Forsaken Children ministry in Ethiopia. I'm blessed to have an opportunity to serve the organization currently as a board member, but there is part of my that longs for my next return to Ethiopia to serve on the ground, to get dirty, and to encourage my fellow Ethiopian brothers and sisters. But instead of constantly thinking "when is my next journey" or "what's my next step with Ethiopia", I should recognize that the Lord has me here, at home, in Memphis for a purpose - regardless of how long it is until my next journey to Ethiopia. The questions should be, how does He want me to advance the ministry and His kingdom here, in this place?

So I don't know if this thought process resonates with you, but I'm being reminded that God has me here for a reason. For His glory and for my drawing near to Him. He is more concerned with my today than my tomorrow. I should follow suit, He'll take care of the rest. "And who knows but that you have come to [this place] royal position for such a time as this?" Esther 4:14

What does God want to do with your today?! Are you asking Him?

1 comment:

Nicci said...

H- Your words were perfect and spoke to my heart! As I have had lots of down time this week, I have longed for Ethiopia and those people and I just have pleaded with God to show me "the next step". As we know, he is taking his time. :) I love Him more for that.