Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Book Corner: The Tangible Kingdom

Somewhere in the middle of the madness I currently call life, I am reading a book with some friends who have a heartbeat for seeing followers of Christ be the hands and feet of Jesus to those around us. Friends who yearn to follow God in a tangible, radical way that points those around us to Jesus.

The book we're reading, a few chapters every couple weeks is The Tangible Kingdom: The Posture and Practices of Ancient Church Now by Hugh Halter and Matt Smay.

It definitely has me thinking and talking to God about my walk, my witness, and my role as a believer and follower of Christ Jesus.

Here are a few quotes from the book:

"Church must not be the goal of the gospel anymore. Church should not be the focus of our efforts or the banner we hold up to explain what we're about. Church should be what ends up happening as a natural response to people wanting to follow us, be with us, and be like us as we are following the way of Christ." - pg. 30.
"Posture is important because it can either obscure the message of truth or enhance and pave the way for a clear rendering of the truth. In North America, people don't have any sense of the true Christian message any more because the face of that message looks so unlike the founder. Christianity is now almost impossible to explain, not because the concepts aren't intelligible, but because the living, moving, speaking examples of our faith don't line up with the message. Our poor posture overshadows the most beautiful story and reality the world has ever known." pg. 41.

I want to be more like Jesus and I want to glorify Him! I'm learning more and more that it will not happen without getting to know Him further in His word and regularly meeting with Him. He is the source of all I need.

No comments: