So I gotta share this different treat.... hope you enjoy too.
Southwest Zucchini Boats
Prep/Total Time: 25 min.
Yield: 4 Servings
- 4 medium zucchini
- 1 lb. ground beef - I used ground turkey instead
- 3/4 cup salsa
- 1/4 cup dry bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro - didn't have it, so skipped it
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/8 tsp. pepper
- 1 cup (4 oz) shredded Monterey Jack cheese, divided
- Sour Cream, optional
- Cut zucchini in half lengthwise; cut a thin slice from the bottom of each with a sharp knife to allow zucchini to sit flat. Scoop out pulp, leaving 1/4-in. shells. (Don't throw away the leftover zucchini pulp. Freeze and save it for zucchini bread later. Or add it to vegetable soups and stews.)
- Place shells in an ungreased 3-qt. microwave-safe dish. Cover and microwave on high for 3 minutes or until crisp-tender; drain and set aside.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook beef (turkey) over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Remove from the heat; stir in the salsa, bread crumbs, cilantro, chili powder, cumin, salt, pepper, and 1/2 cup cheese. Spoon into zucchini shells.
- Microwave, uncovered, on high for 4 minutes. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Microwave 3-4 minutes longer or until cheese is melted and zucchini are tender. Serve with sour cream if desired.