Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Book Corner: Current Reads

So with my 2.5 weeks of break from school.... I also have ambitions of completing or getting deeply into my current reads. I'm working on three different books at present, and they all hit different topics/areas of my life for sure!

Book 1: The Marriage Builder by Larry Crabb

Monthly I meet with some ladies to discuss marriage and how I/we can become better, more Godly wives. We recently finished The Proper Care & Feeding of Husbands by Dr. Laura Schlessinger - - - and now we've dived into Dr. Crabb's book - The Marriage Builder.

I read this book during Mr. McGoo and my engagement... it has been cool to read it again now that we're over three years into marriage. Although only reading a chapter a month will make us work on this book for awhile... it's a goody and still on my book corner current reads!

Book 2: Ms. Understood - Rebuilding the Feminine Equation by Jen Hatmaker

One of my 2009 Christmas gifts from Mr. McGoo (so sad that sometimes it takes me this long to get through my reads), I am currently making my way through Jen Hatmaker's Ms. Understood. Although I LOVED Interrupted - like seriously loved it and was definitely challenged and stirred by it, as noticed by the post here and here,.... so far in my minimal journey of Ms. Understood I'm not captivated and/or impressed. So far I'm not relating to the topic that much, but I'm not giving up as I've barely broken the surface of the book. Time will tell and I'll try to remember to re-evaluate or discuss my impressions upon completion.


Book 3: City of Glass - Book Three of The Mortal Instruments series by Cassandra Clare

WOW! So when I went to get the web link for The Mortal Instruments, I've just learned that book three is not the completion of the series! Apparently the series will have six books total - never realized/knew that. Hmm, learn something new everyday.

Anyway, off the suggestion of a friend that is an avid reader and knew I enjoyed the Twilight series, I requested these books for Christmas this past year. I've complete two of the three currently available, and have enjoyed them. They are EASY reads, simple, entertaining, and pure fiction. Although much of the story line involves angels, demons, vampires, werewolves and any other figure you can think of that mixes within those group, I have found them to be quick, easy, fun fiction to read. I guess, my Mortal Instruments pursuit is far from over with three more books coming soon.


Easy to see now what I mean about having three different books with three different contexts, topics, and points of life:
  • 1 spiritual help/conviction regarding marriage
  • 1 spiritual help/discussion on feminitiy
  • 1 silly fiction

Yay for diversity in my reading corner - we'll see how much I accomplish in the next couple of weeks. But for now, this book worm is looking forward to the next time she can open one of those books and dive right in.

1 comment:

Kels said...

Um... SOOOO excited about The Mortal Instruments series. :)