Saturday, September 20, 2008

Taken for $23, a NutriGrain bar, and a Powerade?

Today I could have been taken for $23, a NutriGrain bar, and a powerade. Maybe...

You know what? I've decided I don't care if I believe was "taken" for all that or not. I had a true feeling today that THIS is the right thing to do. And considering that I'm usually crazy skeptical about anyone coming up asking for a handout - that means something.

so hear is what happened in a nut shell. I'll leave out ALL the details of what she said, but you'll get the gist anyway.

Janna and I were talking outside my car today after breakfast at Brother Junipers (by the University of Memphis/by my home). While talking a woman walks up to us. She's in her early 30's I would bet, black leather jacket, tattoo on her upper breast, and looking like she is still wearing last night's clothes. She asks Janna and I if we have a number or know of an emergency transportation place. She then tells us that, no offense, our city is not a nice place. She needs to get back to Arkansas. Last night her boyfriend hit her in a restaurant and was arrested. The police will not take her across the state border and they were not a taxi service. She said she had been to many churches already, and they all suggested her going to the downtown women's battered mission. There they would take her wherever she needed after a 48-72 hour wait. She said she couldn't wait that long because she had 2 kids at home that she wanted to get back to. She told us that she has a bus pass that she just got from the YMCA (which happened to be across the street from where we stood) and that they told her the bus would take her downtown to the baseball stadium where a bus station was close. I confirmed with her that yes, the Greyhound bus station is there. She then said that she didn't have enough funds for the bus ride. She has asked a couple people and so far for some money and so far had collected $4.50, and had been offered money three times for sexual favors (she told me what they were). Yuck. I asked her how much the Greyhound ticket was. She said $26. I grabbed my $3.00 out of my wallet, Janna gave her what she had, $2.

And then I felt it, while I was taking the money out of my wallet, which was in my car - she couldn't see how much I had (no matter, $3 was all that was with me)... I felt that feeling - I'm supposed to do something more than this. I felt certain and I felt peaceful about it.

So I handed Carla (that was her name) my $3.00, Janna handed her the $2, and I told her, "Here is what we're going to do Carla. Janna is going to get in the car with me, and you are too. We are going to drive to my house, which is right down the street, get you the $20 you need." She graciously thanked me, got in the car and we began to make our way.

She told me the bus stop was by Walgreen's and Yums. I let her know that was down from my house and I'd be happy to take her there too. Graciously she thanked me again. We talked in the car, asked her about certain things, she had a good answer for everything, and seemed legit, which continued to assure me I was doing what I was supposed to regardless of the outcome. I went into my house, while Janna and her stood outside. I grabbed $20, a NutriGrain bar, and a bottled Powerade because I knew she hadn't eaten that morning due to our discussion. I drove her to the bus stop, told her to take care of herself, and drove away.

Now this is the thing - I don't know if I was just taken for $23, a NutriGrain bar, and a bottled Powerade, OR if I truly helped a woman in distress who has made some wrong choices. And I'm realizing, I do not really care. I don't want to know if you think I was taken or not... but, even now, hours and hours later, I truly feel like I did what the Spirit led me to do. I'm not asked to do more than that!

2 comments:

Kelly said...

Very interesting.

Anonymous said...

Good girl! That is a tough decision to make - especially in Memphis :)