Thursday, February 24, 2011

Accountability

Definition of ACCOUNTABILITY
: the quality or state of being accountable (subject to giving an account : answerable); especially : an obligation or willingness to accept responsibility or to account for one's actions

Although sometimes regarded as a negative by some, I'm of the belief that accountability is a beautiful thing! Regardless of what facet of your life you open yourself up to be held accountable, there is freedom in not carrying the burden alone, having someone to cheer you on, and someone else to answer to that allows for a second thought about our choices.

It makes me think of these verses in Ecclesiastes 4, verses 9-12, some of my favorites:
Two are better than one,
   because they have a good return for their labor:
If either of them falls down,
   one can help the other up.
But pity anyone who falls
   and has no one to help them up.
Also, if two lie down together, they will keep warm.
   But how can one keep warm alone?
Though one may be overpowered,
   two can defend themselves.
A cord of three strands is not quickly broken.


It's much easier to fall and make poor choices when I'm the only one making the decision or the only one I have to answer to.

Lately I'm experiencing accountability within my workout routines. As I mentioned in a post last week, The Cycle Continues, I'm prone to have good intentions but poor follow through. I lead a busy life - full time work, night school, wife, and am very involved with lots of other organizations and activities, so it's very easy for me to have an excuse for working out... and often they are "good" excuses, which makes it even harder to make the right choice. However, recently I've gained some accountability to this working out process and it definitely makes a difference!

My middle sis, you know the creative one living in Nashville with her hubby, has joined me on this workout adventure, and before we knew it, we're keeping each other accountable. In Robin's own words, "I need you to so I can be like 'GET UP, you loser, Heather's working out'!" As hilarious as that is, it's true... adding a little sister accountability and good sibling competition makes a difference. We now report to one another about our successful workouts, and question one another when we haven't been keeping up... plus who wants their sister to beat them in this?! Sure gets me up and going!


Ps. On a none related note, but related because I mentioned the creative middle sis, if you like discussions about design and are looking for new craft project ideas, follow Robin's new blog at www.keecreative.blogspot.com. Her wit, charm, and creativity will surely entertain you!

No comments: