Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Something New: Baked Apples

On a whim last night, while waiting on our salmon to come off the grill, I google'd some "easy baked apple recipes". I found one with a quickness and thought it looked easy enough to give it a try... plus I had most of the ingredients.

Turns out... it was super tasty and right up my alley on ease... I left out one of the ingredients suggested, party because it didn't sound that great and ultimately because I didn't have any to give. With Fall on our heels (I can't wait for the crispness in the air), an easy baked apple recipe is something everyone needs. Below is the recipe found on the Simply Recipes blog, tweaked minimally by Mrs. McGoo.

Baked Apples

Ingredients:
  • 4 large apples - I used Fuji because it's our favorite
  • 1/4 cup brown sugar
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1/4 cup chopped pecans
  • 1 Tbsp butter
  • 3/4 cup boiling water
Photos from: http://simplyrecipes.com/recipes/baked_apples/

How To:
  1. Preheat oven to 375°F. Wash apples. Remove cores to 1/2 inch of the bottom of the apples. It helps if you have an apple corer, but if not, you can use a paring knife to cut out first the stem area, and then the core. Use a spoon to dig out the seeds. Make the holes about 3/4-inch to an inch wide.
  2. In a small bowl, combine the sugar, cinnamon, and pecans. Place apples in a 8-inch-by-8-inch square baking pan. Stuff each apple with this mixture. Top with a dot of butter (1/4 of the Tbps).
  3. Add boiling water to the baking pan. Bake 30-40 minutes, until tender, but not mushy. Remove from the oven and baste the apples several times with the pan juices.
Makes 4 servings.

Simply Recipes suggests serving the apples with a side of vanilla ice cream... sounds delish, but we didn't have any to try. Thanks Simply Recipes... bon appetit!

2 comments:

Rachael said...

OMW.Baked apples are one of my very favorite things. YUM. I canNOT wait to try this recipe! Thanks for sharing! I have a delish recipe for apple dumplings with Mountain Dew...maybe I'll post it soon.

Carol V said...

Rachael Ray has a similar recipe for baked apples which are also really good. I also love Ina Garten's recipe for Apple and Pear Crisp, which I modify a lot in many different ways. These are such great quick desserts! You can snag those recipes from the Food Network's website, if you're interested. I recommend both for sure.