Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Eating Up The Chronicles of Narnia

I've been reading through the Chronicles of Narnia series again. I read them in my younger years, and once owned the entire series in individual books. I think I loaned a few of the individual books out and no longer have a full collection. However, Kelly bought me the entire series again for Christmas the year The Lion, Witch, and the Wardrobe came out in the movies. It's one very large book with all seven stories.

Clive Staples (C.S) Lewis truly created a masterpiece within this series. As much as I enjoyed them in my younger years, obviously enough to read them again, I have loved them even more now. At twenty-six, I am eating up the adventures of each tale, and loving the depiction of Christ Lewis paints through his Aslan character, a lion.

If you have never read this series, I beg you, read!

Read it to yourself, or read it to your children - they too will love the tales, even without understanding all of the analogies that unfold within the words.

If you have read it years ago, take the time and fall back into the adventure. Lewis' description of Aslan throughout all seven stories brings about a better understanding and/or reminder of many of the characteristics of God.

Here is one of my favorite quotes that expresses what I mean...

In the Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe, (which is not even the best book of the bunch) the children ask:

"Who is Aslan?"... "Is - is he a man?"

The Beavers reply, "Aslan a man! Certainly not. I tell you his the King of the wood and the son of te great Emperor-beyond-the-Sea. Don't you know who is the King of Beasts? Aslan is a lion - the Lion, the great Lion."

"Ohh!" said Susan. "I'd thought he was a man. Is he - quite safe? I shall feel rather nervious about meeting a lion."

"That you will, dearie, and no mistake," said Mrs. Beaver; "if there's anyone who can appear before Aslan without their knees koncking, they're either braver than most or else just silly."

"then he isn't safe? said Lucy.

"Safe?" said Mr. Beaver; "don't you hear what Mrs. Beaver tells you? Who said anything about safe? Course he isn't safe. But he's good. He's the King, I tell you."


In summary, the children in The Chronicles of Narnia ask if Aslan is safe? Aslan is the depiction of Christ throughout the entire series by Lewis. The beavers quckily answer, NO he is not safe, but he's good.

Just like God. God can punish us all if he wanted, codemn us all because we deserve it.

Romans 1:18-20 says, "The wrath of God is being revealed from heaven against all the godlessness and wickedness of human beings who suppress the truth by their wickedness, since what may be known about God is plain to them, because God has made it plain to them. For since the creation of the world God's invisible qualities - his eternal power and divine nature - have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that people are without excuse."
He is a wrathful God and "unsafe", but He is good.

God is good. He loves us unconditionally, and wants what is best for us. And although He could be wrathful in every sense of our existence and has the right to be, He instead pursues us and loves us.

1 John 4:9-10 testifies of God's love for us, "This is how God showed his love amoung us: He sent his one and only Son into the world that we might live through him. This is love: not that we loved God, but htat he loved us and sent his Son as an atoning sacrifice for our sins."

Additionally, in Psalm we see many verses expressing God's goodness:

Psalm 4:19 says, "How great is your goodness, which you have stored up for those who fear you, which you bestow in the sight of all on those who take refuge in you."

Pslam 107:1 says, "Give thanks to the Lord, for he is good; his love endures forever."

I wish I had marked the quotes, each time I thought, "wow. now that's a great example of Christ," or "Wow. what a good description of the Lord." But I didn't, so I guess you'll have to read it to find your own favorites. ;)

1 comment:

Kelly said...

I've never read the series but look forward to reading them to Lexi.

Love your new background and header - you'll have to teach me how :)