So we finally slowed down a little bit, well as much as we can to an extent, and I have tried three new recipes in the last several days. Yup, three new recipes. So I'll post one for the next few Mondays. They were all SUPER SIMPLE, so don't get your hopes up to find something fully Julia Child worthy, but they were all edible. One we'll definitely make again, one probably, and another I probably will not add to my recipe book.
The first one I'll post is the:
Layered Mexican Bake
what you need:
- 3/4 lb. extra-lean ground beef
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 2 tsp. chili powder
- 1 1/4 cups Thick N Chunky Salsa - the specific recipe recommends Taco Bell Home Originals brand, I just used Pace Picante brand.
- 1 pkg. (10 oz) frozen corn
- 3 high-fiber whole wheat tortillas (8 inch) - I used flour tortillas because that's what was in the pantry
- 1/2 cup Light Sour Cream
- 3/4 cup 2% Milk Shredded Sharp Cheddar Cheese, divided - my hubby does not like Sharp cheddar, so he brought me back Mild from the grocery.
- heat oven to 375
- brown meat with onions and peppers in large skillet on medium-high heat. Stir in chili powder, cook 1 min. Add salsa and corn; mix well. Simmer 5 min.
- spread 1 cup meat sauce onto bottom of 8-or9-inch square baking dish; top with layer of 1 tortilla. 1/2 cup meat sauce, sour cream and 1/4 cup cheese. Cover with 1 tortilla. 1 cup of remaining meat sauce and 1/4 cup of remaining cheese; top with remaining tortilla and meat sauce. Cover with foil.
- bake 25 min or until casserole is heated through. Top with remaining cheese; bake; uncovered; 5 min or until melted.
I forgot to put the onion on the grocery list, so I did without (sad day, because I love onions), but the dish was still good without it. This is one we'll probably make again, but not something I'd put as a staple meal in our schedule. bon appetit!