Saturday, July 19, 2008

I could have had nightmares about the Joker - Heath Ledger was better than amazing!


We went to see Batman: The Dark Knight last night. 10:20pm showing, after a large amazing lasagna dinner by mom. Good thing it was a Friday night, I knew from the start that I'd struggle staying awake for a movie starting at that hour, especially with a full tummy. However, the movie kept my interest all the way through... so I stayed awake.

Every showing at the theater was sold out! And when I say "every movie" that really means something when the showings looked like this: 10:20, 10:50, 11:20, and 11:40, and that's just the ones after 10pm. Good thing we got our tickets two days ahead of time.

We showed up over an hour early for the 2.5 hours of Batman drama... ready to claim our spot in line and get a good seat. There we stood first in line - able to have our pick of the litter for seating, watching the other Batman fans file into line. And then we saw him... the man wearing the Joker T-shirt to the Batman/Joker movie. Kelly made the comment "wow, that's like wearing a concert t-shirt to the concert you're attending". We all chuckled at this and then Brent (one of our buddies in line with us) put us quickly back into our places - "uhhh, guys, we ARE the people first in line for this show". Ha. What he meant... "You are all dorks too."

I'm glad we made the effort to get there as early as we did, with prime seating... we watched the flick. All I have to say, well - I'll say more than this, but I want to make my point here... All I have to say is I could have had nightmares about the Joker - Heath Ledger was better than amazing!

I mean it. Each time the camera focused on the Joker alone, I found myself enthralled and creeped out, both at the same time. He was amazing. The demented nature of the character, and how they showed him to be the true villain of Batman was so well done. I give the movie and A+. Loved it. I wish Heath Ledger had not passed away, because another movie with THAT Joker in it would be awesome.

A couple nights before the arrival of Batman: The Dark Knight the History Channel ran a show about Batman and the psychology of it all. It was great... and really gave me an even better appreciation for the upcoming movie. I was a psych major in college, so anything involving social psychologist discussing things peaks my interest. The Show talked about how and why the Batman comics have continued through time. Beginning in 1939 or so, Batman has been a character that has peaked audiences' interest. From the point of Bruce Wayne losing his parents as a child, to his need to deal with the grief, to the psychology of the villains he fights - the show was great. They even talked about how one of the reasons everyone likes Batman is because he's not super human. He's not from krypton, he's not going to grow big and green when made angry, he's just a man. A man with a ethical code that is trying to make the world a better place. This is a man we can relate with, a man with tragedy in his life and still desires to help his fellow man. Check out the next time it is showing: Batman Unmasked: The Psychology of the Dark Knight, it's worth it.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

"You wanna know how i got these scars??"

Mrs. McGoo said...

Seriously, I was on the edge of my seat EVERYTIME he said that!